5.11.09

death

I saw somebody die tonight. I was in the midst of one of the most fun and memorable nights of my college years when I noticed a man, not much older than myself, collapse on the dance floor of a popular Wednesday night spot, The Cactus Moon. The booze kept flowin', the dancers kept groovin', but I knew something wasn't right with this man. It wasn't just one too many drinks for this dude, he was out cold. As the drama continued for 5 minutes or so until the fire department was called, I was certain that nothing could be done. CPR was started, but it was another 5 minutes before the paramedics arrived, at which time the drama started. I don't want to get into the details, but it really got me thinking. Life sometimes just is not fair.

The positive energetic atmosphere of this place rightfully came to a standstill. Moods became sorrow as I noticed a bunch of college students stop and take a look at themselves and how they are treating their bodies. I am obviously no professional, but like I said, I can guarantee that there was some sort of external factor that came into play with this man's death. Drugs? Diet? Genetics? Stress or emotions? It really doesn't matter.

I have always been an advocate of living life to the fullest, in the safest and smartest way possible. Sure, if you eat healthy, you will probably have a healthier and longer life, but there are no guarantees. Be smart. Don't eat crap. Don't do drugs. But at the same time, live your life to the fullest. Life is short, make the best of it. My goal in life is to leave my mark. I want to be remembered by impacting the lives of others in a positive way. What are you living for?

No comments:

Post a Comment